Butternut Squash Mac N' Cheeze,
Sometimes you just crave the smooth creaminess of this comfort food. Well, you can still have it. This version is made with one of my favorite things, Butternut Squash. No, it does not taste just like cheese, but it is delicious!! Give it a try, I think you will be very pleased. No cashews or other types of nuts were used in this recipe, it is much lighter than some other versions I have tried.
- 2 cups whole wheat pasta macaroni, or whichever type you like cooked according to package directions el dante
- 1 Butternut Squash. (remove from skin after baking) Cut in half, deseed, then bake to tender ( 1 hr at 400 degrees)
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 T minced garlic (or even better roast some garlic while roasting your squash)
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup veg broth
- 1 cup carmelized onions (I chopped one whole onion and carmelized it in pan with veg broth and added the garlic)
- 2 heaping T nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 T of your favorite mustard
- 1/4 cup veg broth for sauteeing the onions in and maybe a splash more if needed to thin your sauce.
- 1/2 can (or 1 cup) of coconut milk (optional but it adds a delicious creaminess to this dish)
- Place all ingredients except for the pasta in blender or nutribullet and blend until smooth
- Pour cheeze sauce over cooked hot pasta, and mix together.
If you like you can eat it as soon as you mix it together, or you can make it a bit thinner by adding some more liquid, and bake it with some panko on top until good and crunchy. 400 degree oven for about 20 min. I like it both ways!